Software + Application Server
Software on CBE Lab/Studio/Loaner Computers and Xen Application Server
|Adobe Creative Suite – Design & Web Premium||CS6||Acrobat Pro, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash Pro, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Premiere Pro|
|Autodesk Suite||2017||AutoCAD Architecture, AutoCAD Raster Design, 3dsMax, Inventor, Robot, Ecotect (2011), Navisworks Manage, Revit, Showcase, BIM 360|
|Bluebeam Revu CAD||2016|
|Connectivity Analysis Toolkit||1.3.2|
|ESRI||10.4||ArcGIS, ArcMAP, ArcScene, ArcCatalog, CityEngine (2015)|
|Google Earth Pro||7.1.5|
|Land F-X||11.6||AutoCAD Plugin|
|Microsoft Office||2016||Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Publisher, Word, Visio|
|Bongo||2||Rhino 5 Plugin|
|Diva||4.0||Rhino 5 Plugin|
|Flamingo||nXT||Rhino 5 Plugin|
|Grasshopper||0.97||Rhino 5 Plugin|
|HoneyBee||Rhino 5 Plugin|
|Hummingbird||Rhino 5 Plugin|
|LadyBug||Rhino 5 Plugin|
|Lands Design||Rhino 5 Plugin|
|RhinoCAM||2012||Rhino 5 Plugin|
|Rhino Terrain||2||Rhino 5 Plugin|
|TSplines||4.0||Rhino 5 Plugin|
|V-Ray||2||Rhino 5 Plugin|
|Culebra||1.0||Grasshopper Plugin – user install|
|gHowl||R50||Grasshopper Plugin – user install|
|HelioTrope||2.02 beta||Grasshopper Plugin – user install|
|Hoopsnake||0.6.7||Grasshopper Plugin – user install|
|Human UI||0.71||Grasshopper Plugin – user install|
|Kangaroo||2.14||Grasshopper Plugin – user install|
|Ladybug/Honeybee||0.62/0.60||Grasshopper Plugin – user install|
|LunchBox||2016.3.21||Grasshopper Plugin – user install|
|Meerkat||1.6 beta||Grasshopper Plugin – user install|
|V-Ray Express||2012||SketchUp Plugin|
|Stroboscope/EZStrobe||Visio 2016 Plugin|
|Adobe Creative Suite – Design & Web Premium||CS6||Acrobat Pro, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash Pro, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat Reader (XI)|
|Adobe Premiere||Acrobat Pro, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash Pro, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat Reader (XI)|
|Citrix Receiver||12.1.1||Xen software portal|
|CyberDuck||FTP, SFTP, WebDAV, S3, Azure browser|
|Google Drive||local folder file sync|
|Google Earth Pro|
|iTunes||music player, store|
|iWork||Keynote, Pages, Numbers (office software)|
|Lumion||6.5.1||Windows side of DC 27-inch iMacs|
|Microsoft Office||2016||Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word (office software)|
|Microsoft Remote Desktop||remote access software|
|Rstudio||GUI for R statistical package|
|Radiance||5||lighting simulation and rendering|
|SketchUp Pro||2016||with Kerkythia plugin|
|VLC Player||2.2||video player|
|Stroboscope/EZStrobe||Visio 2016 Plugin|
How to Connect to the Xen Application Server
The first time you use a given computer to work with the Xen Application Server, you may need to install a bit of software. If the computer you’re using is a CBE-provided lab/studio/library loaner machine, you can skip to step 4.
- Open a browser and go to xen.be.uw.edu .
- If you are on a CBE-provided lab/studio/library loaner machine, you may skip to logging in (step 4).
- If you are on a non-CBE computer, you will need to install the Citrix Receiver. Check the “I agree with the Citrix license agreement” checkbox, then click the big green INSTALL button to download the Citrix Receiver installer. Launch the downloaded installer and follow the instructions. When the installation is complete, click the “Finished” button in the Citrix Receiver installer window, then click the “Continue” button on the xen.be.uw.edu logon screen.
- Log in using your UW NetID and password.
- You may receive a Citrix Security Warning. Be sure to choose “Permit use” and check “Do not ask me again for this site”. You may also get a second security warning. If this occurs, choose “Permit all access” and check “Do not ask me again…” to allow Xen to access your local and network drives.
- Note: Sometimes Citrix gets confused about whether its receiver has been installed. If you have already installed the Citrix Receiver, click “Skip to Log On” to bypass the initial window.
- If you are using Chrome, you may notice that a Xen application doesn’t launch, and instead downloads an “ica” file. Simply right-click the file at the bottom of the browser window and choose “Always open this type of file”. Relaunch the Xen application and it should open directly from then on.
- For more detailed instructions, see CBE_Xen_instructions,pdf .
Software Deals for UW/CBE Students
Free ESRI (ArcGIS) software for students in GIS courses
UW students enrolled in GIS courses may acquire ESRI software for use on personal computers on a one-year time out license. The software must be requested through a faculty member who is teaching a GIS course in which the student is enrolled.
Please see http://depts.washington.edu/arcgis/pages/arcgis-1-year-timeout-license-requests for more information (including installation instructions), and for a link that faculty members can use to request these licenses.
Free ArchiCAD software for UW students / faculty / staff
UW students, faculty, and staff can register with Graphisoft to gain free access to ArchiCAD for the duration of their time at the UW. To take advantage of this offer, register at www.myarchicad.com using your UW email address and follow the instructions.
Free Autodesk software for UW students / faculty / staff
Anyone with a UW email address (@u.washington.edu) may participate in Autodesk’s Education Community program. Along with much educational material, most Autodesk applications are available for free through the program, on a three-year time out license.
To get the software, you have to register for the program, which you can do by going to the program web page:
Free Lumion student licenses for UW students
Full-time UW students in AEC-related fields can gain free access to the student version of this rather spiffy visualization/rendering package. Please note that its hardware requirements are significant – details available on their web site:
Free Microsoft software for UW students
Thanks in part to funding from the UW Student Technology Fee, several Microsoft applications (but not, alas, Windows itself) are available for free download by UW students. For more information about this program, and to download the software, please check out UW-IT’s software site:
Software for the UW (UWare)
Free Bentley software for CBE students / faculty / staff
CBE has a license arrangement with Bentley Systems (Microstation, many other applications). This arrangement allows students, faculty, and staff in the College to install most Bentley applications on their personally owned computers and devices. For more info, check out the web site:
Note that you’ll need an access code to set up a Bentley STUDENTserver account. If you are a registered student in one of CBE’s departments, or are a faculty or staff member of CBE, please send email to email@example.com to request the code.
Adobe software for UW students
The UW is currently renegotiating its agreement with Adobe, so the Adobe situation is in flux. For now, UW students can purchase Adobe packages from the University Bookstore. See the Bookstore’s Tech Center page for details.
Rhinoceros software for students and faculty
McNeel’s popular Rhino package is available at a steep discount for qualifying students and faculty from the University Bookstore. See their Tech Center page for details.