Digital Commons

The Digital Commons, located on the basement level of Gould Hall, consists of Windows 10 computer workstations and a 32-seat classroom. Scanners, printers, and plotters, as well as projectors and meeting areas, allow students to collaborate in small group settings.  To explore software available in the Digital Commons visit the Software + Application Server page.

Hours of Operation

CBE Faculty, Staff, and Students

Remote access to computers in the Digital Commons is available using the CBE Remote service. See for details.

The Digital Commons Classroom is unavailable during Autumn quarter 2020, so that its computers can be dedicated to the CBE Remote service. To maintain appropriate distancing, in-person capacity of the Digital Commons lab outside the classroom is limited to 16. The remaining computers have been added to the CBE Remote pool.


  • Windows 10 (~16 machines in-person, ~50 machines via CBE Remote)
  • Scanners: standard, tabloid, large format (40-inch)
  • Plotter: 36-inch wide, heavy coated paper (pay with Husky Card)
  • Printer: color, duplex, letter/legal/tabloid (pay with Husky Card)
  • Wacom Intuos3 Graphics Tablets (available for in-lab use from help desk)
  • Faculty loaner equipment pick-up/drop-off (at help desk)


  • Contex Large Format Scanner
    Recommended Settings:

    • Resolution: 150 dpi
    • Color Depth: 24 bit
    • B/W: Graytone

    When using tracing paper with the large format scanner, use fixed paper width (preferred) and a white backing sheet (cut off what you need from the roll above the large cutter, use trace tape on leading edge and sides).

  • Epson GT-15000 Tabloid Scanner (use VueScan software)
  • Epson GT-2500 Scanner with Feeder (use Acrobat Pro, especially for multi page documents)


Dawg Prints Self-Serve Printers

UW Creative Communications has placed two self-serve printers in Gould Hall.

A color laser printer is located in the Digital Commons (007 Gould).

A monochrome laser printer is located at the east end of the BE Library (334 Gould).

CBE lab/studio computers have drivers for these already installed. You can get driver installation packages for installation on your Mac or Windows computer by going to the UW Creative Communications link.

Paper sizes and prices (payment options: Husky Card, Dawg Prints Card, or Department Card (for CBE faculty/staff)) are below.  If your print job fails due to problems with the Dawg Prints system, you may be able to get a refund by filling out an online Refund Request Form on the Creative Communications site.

paper size

black & white

black & white



8.5″ x 11″ (letter)





8.5″ x 14″ (legal)





11″ x 17″ (tabloid)






Color Plotter

Tips for plotting in the Digital Commons (PDF).

The Digital Commons has an HP DesignJet Z6100PS plotter with 36-inch wide paper (35 pound, heavy coated paper (roll), matte finish (ASTM D-523)) that can be accessed from computers in the Gould Hall computing labs (as “Student Color Plotter”). Since this is a delicate piece of equipment, it is not self-serve like the Dawg Prints printer. After sending a plot to the Student Color Plotter, you’ll need to review it with a consultant at the Digital Commons help desk during regular business hours before it is released for plotting. Pickup and payment is also at the Digital Commons help desk.


The plotter is intended for use by BE students. However, individuals outside BE (but associated with the University of Washington) may visit the Digital Commons and plot to the plotter on a non-interfering basis, with the understanding that non-BE plot jobs will be lowered in priority to accommodate BE student needs. Please note that the BE plotting service is not able to support large-volume plotting for classes outside the College of Built Environments. Non-BE classes needing plotting services should use the general-access facilities in Odegaard and Mary Gates Hall.

Plots are limited to a maximum length of 120 inches (10 feet). Pricing (payment options: Husky Card, Dawg Prints Card, or Department Card (for CBE faculty/staff)):

price per running foot

Students/Faculty/Staff in BE departments


Other UW Students/Faculty/Staff


The length of a plot is measured by the length of paper used, not the image size on the plot. Please note that if you produce a plot, you’ll need to pay for it unless there’s a problem with the system that caused it to plot incorrectly. So please preview your plots to be sure that you’re sending what you intend to send to the plotter.